My nephew arrived yesterday weighing 6.4 lbs screaming and kicking as he took his first breath. I wasn't there where I should have been. I was 1000 miles away at an airport walking to the security line to reach the gate, while he squirmed in the hands that first held him and welcomed him into the world. When I landed and walked to the next gate, my brother held the phone to his tiny son and told me to hear his tender cry. I don't know what happened after that. As my ears pulled in the voice, my mind became untangled and flew away like a dragon fly, like a massive dust of jasmine petals busting through the air. All the cells of my being, said, "hello".
If my emotions went to outer space at the sound of his minor voice, I can't imagine what I'll go through when I hold him for the first time. Will it suddenly rain in the drought stricken parts of the world? Will the galaxy fly further away? Will new stars and constellations adorn the sky? Will the laughter of billions of chlidren magnify? Will all the paintings on all the world's walls become more beautiful? Will all the ice in the polor caps melt away?
Is this how it feels to have to wait to see the new human being who parallels my DNA?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment